Sunday, October 9, 2011

Quinoa Crepes/Pancakes

1/2 cup quinoa flour
2 tbs sugar
A dash salt
1 egg
2 tbs canola oil
1/2 cup water

Put a pan to warm on medium heat (b/w 4&5 on my stove). Grease with canola oil. In a bowl mix the sugar, flour and salt then add the egg, oil and water and whisk together . (I add a tsp of vanilla too but it's not essential if your little one isn't ok with it). The batter should be very thin. Add more water as necessary. Ladle like pancake batter, it's going to spread out very thinly. Let cook until small bubbles form all over the crepe, flip and let cook a little longer. Serve alone, with fruit, or maple syrup. If you make these without sugar you can use them as burrito type wraps.

If your child is okay with baking soda add  about a 1/2 tsp and a bit less water cause yours can be thicker, I make mine more like crepes since my daughter doesn't do well with baking soda. If your child's okay with corn or if you have corn free baking powder that would be even better.

My daughter prefers these slightly fluffy so I just pour and don't turn the pan the way you would with a crepe, but personally I love them crispy like that, it makes them taste almost like waffle cone. For a crispy crepe pour a small amount of batter on to the pan then quickly lift the pan by its handle and twirl it to make the batter spread very thinly. When they're ready to flip you'll see the edges looking toasty.


Storage Tip: When I've made too many crepes for my daughter to eat in one day I place the leftover crepes on silver foil, two to a pile. I fold them up in the foil and freeze them. When I need them again I put the package, still sealed, in the toaster oven for about 5 minutes. That way they just heat up but don't toast since they're covered in foil. I don't know how long they can stay frozen for cause I've always used mine within a few days, but it's helpful to have some already made sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. No egg version: I had posted this recipe on the BabyCenter FPIES forum and one of the mom's said she used the recipe but replaced the egg with 1 tbs of ground flaxseed and 3 tbs water. She said it worked great. Grind the flaxseed in a coffee grinder or food processor, mix with the water and let sit to thicken a few minutes before using it in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete