Saturday, November 5, 2011

Gravy

            My daughter isn’t fond of the texture of beef. It keeps her from eating it well. If I give it to her without a sauce of some sort she’ll just chew it and then spit it out. That’s what made me think to try putting it in gravy. Her only safe flour so far is quinoa so that’s what I use, but I’m sure you can use whatever flour is safe for your child.
            To make the gravy you’ll need some flour and about a cup of stock. What I usually do is simmer her beef or pork in water until it’s very tender. Then I use the broth that created to make the gravy. Sometimes I use the leftover liquid from when I make her beans. If your child is okay with a lot of vegetables you can make a vegetable stock too.
            Heat a frying pan on medium heat, don’t add oil or anything else. Pour in about a tablespoon of flour. If you have more than a cup of stock, or if you want a thicker gravy you can add more flour. Spread the flour on the bottom of the pan and let heat for a while. Stir it occasionally until it starts looking golden, or like its beginning to toast. Don’t leave it too long once it changes color a bit though, you don’t want burnt gravy.
            When you flour is done get ready to stir and watch out for steam. You need to pour in the stock (which should be warm) quickly and very quickly stir the flour as you pour, that will keep your gravy from getting too clumpy. Although I can tell you with quinoa flour it’s pretty easy compared to wheat flour, it’s so fine that it rarely clumps. Let the liquid simmer until it thickens to the desired consistency. That’s it. It’s pretty easy and makes a great sauce to mix meats in or to dip French fries or veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment