Thursday, January 19, 2012

Quinoa with Pork

A small piece of pork loin (about the size of your baby’s fist, or about 1/3 of a chop)
½ cup of whole grain quinoa (Ancient Harvest brand)
1 ¼ cups of water
1 tbs olive oil for browning (or any safe oil)
Salt

This dish has a texture similar to valencia rice, just a bit more “al dente.” In a small sauce pan fry the pork in oil, just enough to brown it on all sides. Add the quinoa and sauté for about a minute. Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cover. Simmer for about 18-20 minutes and salt to taste. You’ll notice that I put in more water than the box recommends and I cook it longer. That’s to help the grain get softer and more palatable for small kids. The pork gives the quinoa a lot of great flavor, it’s actually something I’d eat myself all the time, now that I have discovered it.

No comments:

Post a Comment